Flipboard, the popular news aggregation app, has announced that it is branching out into the lucrative domain of e-commerce. Today, Flipboard said that it would be enabling individuals and brands to create their own personal catalogues on the site.
This move towards an online magazine catalogue service isn’t surprising. In March, the site introduced a feature to its service which gave users a way to create a magazine with collated articles across the web that others could read. It is only natural that the next evolution for the platform would be to give brands and users the power to create their own magazines with their own content.
By enabling users and brands to create online magazines with their own content, Flipboard has created another revenue stream for brands and media companies, something which the media is now calling for Pinterest to address by making moves back from the opposite direction.
Users who browse through a brand’s magazine will soon be able to make purchases directly from a brand’s Flipboard. Banana Republic and Levi’s have already launched their own catalogues on the site which are both worth checking out. As online retail continues to grow in the social media space, don’t be surprised if Flipboard becomes a major destination for online shopping not just for brands but for consumers as well.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Google Inbox: The future of emails? October 28, 2014
- Best small agency in the UK October 24, 2014
- FireChat hits over 1m users & what this means for Internet globally October 14, 2014
- New research by Ofcom shows social media usage of children and parents October 13, 2014
- Battenhall named PRCA agency of the future September 26, 2014
- Internet goes wild for Ello launch September 26, 2014
- Some Battenhall news – awards and events and reports, oh my! September 23, 2014
- Battenhall launches 2014 FTSE 100 social media report September 22, 2014
- The UK YouTubers power list September 18, 2014
- New venue confirmed for Battenhall’s #SMW2014 trends briefing September 17, 2014
- Facebook’s latest experiment September 12, 2014
- How Apple’s social media strategy with fashion bloggers is taking aim not at the watch, but at the wrist September 10, 2014
- Battenhall’s Social Media Week London 2014 event open for registration September 4, 2014
- Reddit launches AMA app September 3, 2014
- 10 must-have IFTTT recipes for social media managers August 29, 2014
- October 2014 (4)
- September 2014 (10)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)