Flipboard, the popular news aggregation app, has announced that it is branching out into the lucrative domain of e-commerce. Today, Flipboard said that it would be enabling individuals and brands to create their own personal catalogues on the site.
This move towards an online magazine catalogue service isn’t surprising. In March, the site introduced a feature to its service which gave users a way to create a magazine with collated articles across the web that others could read. It is only natural that the next evolution for the platform would be to give brands and users the power to create their own magazines with their own content.
By enabling users and brands to create online magazines with their own content, Flipboard has created another revenue stream for brands and media companies, something which the media is now calling for Pinterest to address by making moves back from the opposite direction.
Users who browse through a brand’s magazine will soon be able to make purchases directly from a brand’s Flipboard. Banana Republic and Levi’s have already launched their own catalogues on the site which are both worth checking out. As online retail continues to grow in the social media space, don’t be surprised if Flipboard becomes a major destination for online shopping not just for brands but for consumers as well.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Man United fans learn of Moyes sacking on Twitter first April 22, 2014
- Facebook’s brave new venture into unbranded apps April 17, 2014
- Can you really ‘Own the Moment’ on Twitter? April 16, 2014
- Facebook break up: brands and young users move on April 15, 2014
- #BattenVEDA: Vlogging tips and tricks April 14, 2014
- The role of digital in the future of health April 12, 2014
- Why apps will become obsolete April 11, 2014
- Twitter wants to be Facebook, Facebook wants to be Twitter April 10, 2014
- Instagram beats Twitter and Facebook for top spot with teens April 9, 2014
- News media take to WhatsApp and WeChat April 9, 2014
- Battenhall team at last airing of social TV show @TheFoxProblem April 2, 2014
- Tips for Preparing for #BattenVEDA March 28, 2014
- Anonymous, hyperlocal app Firechat breaks new boundaries in social messaging March 27, 2014
- The implications of Facebook purchasing Oculus March 26, 2014
- Register to be part of the #BattenVEDA Community March 25, 2014