Flipboard, the popular news aggregation app, has announced that it is branching out into the lucrative domain of e-commerce. Today, Flipboard said that it would be enabling individuals and brands to create their own personal catalogues on the site.
This move towards an online magazine catalogue service isn’t surprising. In March, the site introduced a feature to its service which gave users a way to create a magazine with collated articles across the web that others could read. It is only natural that the next evolution for the platform would be to give brands and users the power to create their own magazines with their own content.
By enabling users and brands to create online magazines with their own content, Flipboard has created another revenue stream for brands and media companies, something which the media is now calling for Pinterest to address by making moves back from the opposite direction.
Users who browse through a brand’s magazine will soon be able to make purchases directly from a brand’s Flipboard. Banana Republic and Levi’s have already launched their own catalogues on the site which are both worth checking out. As online retail continues to grow in the social media space, don’t be surprised if Flipboard becomes a major destination for online shopping not just for brands but for consumers as well.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Imoji App for iPhone turns your selfies into stickers July 24, 2014
- Facebook fights Twitter with Mentions and influencers July 24, 2014
- Tracking Transience: a project tracking ALL the things July 23, 2014
- Battenhall shortlisted for PR Week New Consultancy of the Year July 21, 2014
- One year in, how Battenhall’s focus on the 80/20 rule and innovation is working July 19, 2014
- Response to Facebook’s mood measuring experiment asks users to leave for 99 days July 16, 2014
- SnapChat experiments with collaborative timelines, again July 14, 2014
- Battenhallers out and about this week July 10, 2014
- Register for #BattenVEDA | Vlog Every Day in August July 8, 2014
- Why Facebook’s mood manipulation experiments are only the beginning July 4, 2014
- Twitter trials buy now button and acquires Tap Commerce for $100m July 1, 2014
- How Firechat is rolling out off the grid messaging across mobile platforms June 25, 2014
- How engaging teens on social media needs an understanding of the real reason Facebook is uncool June 17, 2014
- 10 trends shaping the future internet of things June 16, 2014
- Battenhall’s view of the future of PR – CIPR North conference keynote and slides June 12, 2014