Flipboard, the popular news aggregation app, has announced that it is branching out into the lucrative domain of e-commerce. Today, Flipboard said that it would be enabling individuals and brands to create their own personal catalogues on the site.
This move towards an online magazine catalogue service isn’t surprising. In March, the site introduced a feature to its service which gave users a way to create a magazine with collated articles across the web that others could read. It is only natural that the next evolution for the platform would be to give brands and users the power to create their own magazines with their own content.
By enabling users and brands to create online magazines with their own content, Flipboard has created another revenue stream for brands and media companies, something which the media is now calling for Pinterest to address by making moves back from the opposite direction.
Users who browse through a brand’s magazine will soon be able to make purchases directly from a brand’s Flipboard. Banana Republic and Levi’s have already launched their own catalogues on the site which are both worth checking out. As online retail continues to grow in the social media space, don’t be surprised if Flipboard becomes a major destination for online shopping not just for brands but for consumers as well.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Team Battenhall expands with two new senior hires March 10, 2014
- Battenhall turns one: the year in review March 8, 2014
- Yahoo signs Mourinho to be Tumblr-posting global football ambassador March 6, 2014
- Social media strategy for healthcare 101 March 5, 2014
- Social data predicts Wolf of Wall St will win at the Oscars March 1, 2014
- Reddit launches new and experimental news format, Liveupdate February 25, 2014
- Sina Weibo prepares for IPO February 25, 2014
- Calling all causes: Battenhall’s birthday present is back to you February 25, 2014
- Data from social media is the must-have brand asset February 25, 2014
- MWC2014: Ericsson and Facebook Innovation Lab February 24, 2014
- Top 5 things we learnt about BuzzFeed February 21, 2014
- LinkedIn unlocks long-form posting privileges February 20, 2014
- The $16bn address book: what Facebook’s acquisition of WhatsApp means for brands February 19, 2014
- Data is the new gold and data centres are the gold mines February 19, 2014
- Social media overtakes Google as top referrer to mainstream media February 18, 2014