The Internet Advertising Bureau’s new report into digital advertising spend in the UK, released today, shows that our industry is in rude health. As The Guardian pointed out in its coverage of the news, spending one in 12 waking minutes online has pushed digital spend to record highs.
Apart from revealing to us that advertisers have more money than ever to play with (the UK saw over 3 billion of digital ad spend in the first half of 2013) the report also illustrates how social media is increasingly becoming a prominent part of UK brands’ marketing mix.
Social media ad spend has grown 53%, reaching £242.5 million. In the last three years, social media spend has increased almost three-fold (285%).
According to the report, social networks and blogs alongside entertainment account for over one third of UK internet time. In addition to that, the UKCOM/comscore reveals that 12% of internet time (or one in every seven minutes to be exact) is spent on social networks.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Yahoo signs Mourinho to be Tumblr-posting global football ambassador March 6, 2014
- Social media strategy for healthcare 101 March 5, 2014
- Social data predicts Wolf of Wall St will win at the Oscars March 1, 2014
- Reddit launches new and experimental news format, Liveupdate February 25, 2014
- Sina Weibo prepares for IPO February 25, 2014
- Calling all causes: Battenhall’s birthday present is back to you February 25, 2014
- Data from social media is the must-have brand asset February 25, 2014
- MWC2014: Ericsson and Facebook Innovation Lab February 24, 2014
- Top 5 things we learnt about BuzzFeed February 21, 2014
- LinkedIn unlocks long-form posting privileges February 20, 2014
- The $16bn address book: what Facebook’s acquisition of WhatsApp means for brands February 19, 2014
- Data is the new gold and data centres are the gold mines February 19, 2014
- Social media overtakes Google as top referrer to mainstream media February 18, 2014
- These are the 50 most innovative companies in the world right now February 18, 2014
- Freedom of the press map highlights global differences in media landscape February 17, 2014