The Internet Advertising Bureau’s new report into digital advertising spend in the UK, released today, shows that our industry is in rude health. As The Guardian pointed out in its coverage of the news, spending one in 12 waking minutes online has pushed digital spend to record highs.
Apart from revealing to us that advertisers have more money than ever to play with (the UK saw over 3 billion of digital ad spend in the first half of 2013) the report also illustrates how social media is increasingly becoming a prominent part of UK brands’ marketing mix.
Social media ad spend has grown 53%, reaching £242.5 million. In the last three years, social media spend has increased almost three-fold (285%).
According to the report, social networks and blogs alongside entertainment account for over one third of UK internet time. In addition to that, the UKCOM/comscore reveals that 12% of internet time (or one in every seven minutes to be exact) is spent on social networks.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- 10 must-have IFTTT recipes for social media managers August 29, 2014
- Instagram launches new time lapse video app Hyperlapse August 26, 2014
- YouTube’s new Music Key service launches as direct competitor to Spotify August 22, 2014
- Instagram adds new marketing tools for account data insights and ads August 22, 2014
- A world beyond apps, from two different perspectives August 20, 2014
- Twitter launches data visualisation tool #EverydayMoments August 15, 2014
- Facebook now tells us when ads lead to purchases August 14, 2014
- Yo takes on Twitter with new sharing features August 13, 2014
- 5 graphs worth reading: the social media sections in Ofcom’s new UK media and comms report August 7, 2014
- How Buzzfeed is disrupting the media model with new hires and ways of working August 6, 2014
- Imoji App for iPhone turns your selfies into stickers July 24, 2014
- Facebook fights Twitter with Mentions and influencers July 24, 2014
- Tracking Transience: a project tracking ALL the things July 23, 2014
- Battenhall shortlisted for PR Week New Consultancy of the Year July 21, 2014
- One year in, how Battenhall’s focus on the 80/20 rule and innovation is working July 19, 2014