The Internet Advertising Bureau’s new report into digital advertising spend in the UK, released today, shows that our industry is in rude health. As The Guardian pointed out in its coverage of the news, spending one in 12 waking minutes online has pushed digital spend to record highs.
Apart from revealing to us that advertisers have more money than ever to play with (the UK saw over 3 billion of digital ad spend in the first half of 2013) the report also illustrates how social media is increasingly becoming a prominent part of UK brands’ marketing mix.
Social media ad spend has grown 53%, reaching £242.5 million. In the last three years, social media spend has increased almost three-fold (285%).
According to the report, social networks and blogs alongside entertainment account for over one third of UK internet time. In addition to that, the UKCOM/comscore reveals that 12% of internet time (or one in every seven minutes to be exact) is spent on social networks.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- The UK YouTubers power list September 18, 2014
- New venue confirmed for Battenhall’s #SMW2014 trends briefing September 17, 2014
- Facebook’s latest experiment September 12, 2014
- How Apple’s social media strategy with fashion bloggers is taking aim not at the watch, but at the wrist September 10, 2014
- Battenhall’s Social Media Week London 2014 event open for registration September 4, 2014
- Reddit launches AMA app September 3, 2014
- 10 must-have IFTTT recipes for social media managers August 29, 2014
- Instagram launches new time lapse video app Hyperlapse August 26, 2014
- YouTube’s new Music Key service launches as direct competitor to Spotify August 22, 2014
- Instagram adds new marketing tools for account data insights and ads August 22, 2014
- A world beyond apps, from two different perspectives August 20, 2014
- Twitter launches data visualisation tool #EverydayMoments August 15, 2014
- Facebook now tells us when ads lead to purchases August 14, 2014
- Yo takes on Twitter with new sharing features August 13, 2014
- 5 graphs worth reading: the social media sections in Ofcom’s new UK media and comms report August 7, 2014
- September 2014 (6)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)