Yahoo! has started putting the Flickr name back on the map since the relaunched iOS app in December 2012, which included photo filters, endless scrolling and increased sharing functionality amongst other updates. According to Marissa Mayer the update “generated 25% more photos uploaded, views and shared on a daily basis”.
Whilst the iOS app received this attention, it was about time Yahoo! gave Flickr.com some TLC, which is certainly what it’s received with the new update. Alongside a refresh of the overall UI, overall sharing functionality and Android app, Flickr now boasts 1TB of photo storage for users. Good news? Not so fast, user response to the update has been overwhelmingly negative, according to TechRadar,
Users are complaining about basic usability, unwanted infinite scrolling, slow loading, the removal of titles (they only appear on mouseover now), problems finding stuff, the ability for someone else’s glamour shots to dominate your front page, the complete impossibility of clicking links in the front page footer… you get the idea.
Heavy complaints following a UI update aren’t alien in the digital frontier, but with significant changes to Flickr Pro accounts, Yahoo! risks losing users to competitors like 500px.
There’s been increasing speculation over what role Flickr has to play with the acquisition of Tumblr in the last couple of days. Before anything official is announced, Yahoo! will have to work hard retaining loyal users who probably feel backstabbed by the new pricing structure. For now, the new Flickr update looks good, and with storage for 537,731 photos even the most amateur photographer can’t go wrong.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Facebook’s latest experiment September 12, 2014
- How Apple’s social media strategy with fashion bloggers is taking aim not at the watch, but at the wrist September 10, 2014
- Battenhall’s Social Media Week London 2014 event open for registration September 4, 2014
- Reddit launches AMA app September 3, 2014
- 10 must-have IFTTT recipes for social media managers August 29, 2014
- Instagram launches new time lapse video app Hyperlapse August 26, 2014
- YouTube’s new Music Key service launches as direct competitor to Spotify August 22, 2014
- Instagram adds new marketing tools for account data insights and ads August 22, 2014
- A world beyond apps, from two different perspectives August 20, 2014
- Twitter launches data visualisation tool #EverydayMoments August 15, 2014
- Facebook now tells us when ads lead to purchases August 14, 2014
- Yo takes on Twitter with new sharing features August 13, 2014
- 5 graphs worth reading: the social media sections in Ofcom’s new UK media and comms report August 7, 2014
- How Buzzfeed is disrupting the media model with new hires and ways of working August 6, 2014
- Imoji App for iPhone turns your selfies into stickers July 24, 2014
- September 2014 (4)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)