When we read this afternoon on the BBC that the people behind French social media analytics tool Spotter had claimed they had developed a sarcasm detection tool, it caught our attention somewhat.
When it comes to using social media monitoring tools for sentiment analysis, results are a mixed bag to say the least. On their own, these tools are next to useless, says Simon Collister in the BBC’s article. You always need an analyst versed in communications strategy to interpret the data.
In my experience, the most effective uses of tools on social media monitoring are largely around tracking for absolutes. For example mentions of words, time of day, type of content or reach. The value of analysing this kind of data can be immense. It can fuel marketing, reputation management operations, R&D and numerous other business functions.
However the use of software to detect the tone of conversations online at scale, ie sentiment analysis, is rarely accurate enough to be if any use. And for high profile brands or government organisations, detecting a sudden shift in sentiment could be a valuable trigger in maintaining a competitive advantage.
So no sarcasm intended, we’re reaaaally interested in testing out Spotter, as this is a missing link in even the better quality tools in the social media monitoring toolkit right now.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- So long, Google+ March 2, 2015
- Social media for internal communications: notes from Battenhall’s IoIC talk February 28, 2015
- Catch Battenhall speaking at the Institute of Internal Comms conference this Friday February 23, 2015
- Google launches ‘KidsTube’ app February 20, 2015
- Facebook’s second coming: Could VR research revive the social network? February 19, 2015
- Could Yik Yak be the next big thing in mobile? February 13, 2015
- How YouTube has changed advertising February 11, 2015
- The Battenhall WhatsApp stats show engagement wins over noise February 1, 2015
- Why Facebook’s new user numbers signal a turning point for the social media age January 29, 2015
- Battenhall shortlisted for Best Small Agency at the PR Moment Awards January 29, 2015
- Snapchat launches Discover January 27, 2015
- Launching the Battenhall WhatsApp January 22, 2015
- Speaking at #FjordKitchen London on digital disruption and the Real World Web January 21, 2015
- Facebook at Work launches to help employee communications January 14, 2015
- WhatsApp hits 700m users and 50bn messages daily overtaking text messaging January 13, 2015
- March 2015 (1)
- February 2015 (7)
- January 2015 (11)
- December 2014 (6)
- November 2014 (10)
- October 2014 (4)
- September 2014 (10)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)