When we read this afternoon on the BBC that the people behind French social media analytics tool Spotter had claimed they had developed a sarcasm detection tool, it caught our attention somewhat.
When it comes to using social media monitoring tools for sentiment analysis, results are a mixed bag to say the least. On their own, these tools are next to useless, says Simon Collister in the BBC’s article. You always need an analyst versed in communications strategy to interpret the data.
In my experience, the most effective uses of tools on social media monitoring are largely around tracking for absolutes. For example mentions of words, time of day, type of content or reach. The value of analysing this kind of data can be immense. It can fuel marketing, reputation management operations, R&D and numerous other business functions.
However the use of software to detect the tone of conversations online at scale, ie sentiment analysis, is rarely accurate enough to be if any use. And for high profile brands or government organisations, detecting a sudden shift in sentiment could be a valuable trigger in maintaining a competitive advantage.
So no sarcasm intended, we’re reaaaally interested in testing out Spotter, as this is a missing link in even the better quality tools in the social media monitoring toolkit right now.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- FireChat hits over 1m users & what this means for Internet globally October 14, 2014
- New research by Ofcom shows social media usage of children and parents October 13, 2014
- Battenhall named PRCA agency of the future September 26, 2014
- Internet goes wild for Ello launch September 26, 2014
- Some Battenhall news – awards and events and reports, oh my! September 23, 2014
- Battenhall launches 2014 FTSE 100 social media report September 22, 2014
- The UK YouTubers power list September 18, 2014
- New venue confirmed for Battenhall’s #SMW2014 trends briefing September 17, 2014
- Facebook’s latest experiment September 12, 2014
- How Apple’s social media strategy with fashion bloggers is taking aim not at the watch, but at the wrist September 10, 2014
- Battenhall’s Social Media Week London 2014 event open for registration September 4, 2014
- Reddit launches AMA app September 3, 2014
- 10 must-have IFTTT recipes for social media managers August 29, 2014
- Instagram launches new time lapse video app Hyperlapse August 26, 2014
- YouTube’s new Music Key service launches as direct competitor to Spotify August 22, 2014
- October 2014 (2)
- September 2014 (10)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)