When we read this afternoon on the BBC that the people behind French social media analytics tool Spotter had claimed they had developed a sarcasm detection tool, it caught our attention somewhat.
When it comes to using social media monitoring tools for sentiment analysis, results are a mixed bag to say the least. On their own, these tools are next to useless, says Simon Collister in the BBC’s article. You always need an analyst versed in communications strategy to interpret the data.
In my experience, the most effective uses of tools on social media monitoring are largely around tracking for absolutes. For example mentions of words, time of day, type of content or reach. The value of analysing this kind of data can be immense. It can fuel marketing, reputation management operations, R&D and numerous other business functions.
However the use of software to detect the tone of conversations online at scale, ie sentiment analysis, is rarely accurate enough to be if any use. And for high profile brands or government organisations, detecting a sudden shift in sentiment could be a valuable trigger in maintaining a competitive advantage.
So no sarcasm intended, we’re reaaaally interested in testing out Spotter, as this is a missing link in even the better quality tools in the social media monitoring toolkit right now.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Is this Facebookgeddon? The social network changes its News Feed algorithm to promote friends’ content April 22, 2015
- Ofcom considers deregulation to take growing power of internet into account April 17, 2015
- The arrival of the media grazing age April 13, 2015
- The rise of dark brand campaigns April 2, 2015
- Live streaming services Meerkat and Periscope woo influencers, brands and the media March 31, 2015
- What Facebook’s new Messenger for Businesses means for brands March 26, 2015
- 30 things to vlog about for #BattenVEDA March 16, 2015
- Facebook further develops audience engagement for brands with Topic Data March 11, 2015
- #BattenVEDA is back with a twist! March 9, 2015
- We’re hiring: calling superstar junior digital designers March 6, 2015
- Battenhall wins best social media agency in the UK March 5, 2015
- Is the platform-publisher model the future of digital media? March 3, 2015
- So long, Google+ March 2, 2015
- Social media for internal communications: notes from Battenhall’s IoIC talk February 28, 2015
- Catch Battenhall speaking at the Institute of Internal Comms conference this Friday February 23, 2015
- April 2015 (4)
- March 2015 (9)
- February 2015 (7)
- January 2015 (11)
- December 2014 (6)
- November 2014 (10)
- October 2014 (4)
- September 2014 (10)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)