When we read this afternoon on the BBC that the people behind French social media analytics tool Spotter had claimed they had developed a sarcasm detection tool, it caught our attention somewhat.
When it comes to using social media monitoring tools for sentiment analysis, results are a mixed bag to say the least. On their own, these tools are next to useless, says Simon Collister in the BBC’s article. You always need an analyst versed in communications strategy to interpret the data.
In my experience, the most effective uses of tools on social media monitoring are largely around tracking for absolutes. For example mentions of words, time of day, type of content or reach. The value of analysing this kind of data can be immense. It can fuel marketing, reputation management operations, R&D and numerous other business functions.
However the use of software to detect the tone of conversations online at scale, ie sentiment analysis, is rarely accurate enough to be if any use. And for high profile brands or government organisations, detecting a sudden shift in sentiment could be a valuable trigger in maintaining a competitive advantage.
So no sarcasm intended, we’re reaaaally interested in testing out Spotter, as this is a missing link in even the better quality tools in the social media monitoring toolkit right now.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Why Facebook’s new user numbers signal a turning point for the social media age January 29, 2015
- Battenhall shortlisted for Best Small Agency at the PR Moment Awards January 29, 2015
- Snapchat launches Discover January 27, 2015
- Launching the Battenhall WhatsApp January 22, 2015
- Speaking at #FjordKitchen London on digital disruption and the Real World Web January 21, 2015
- Facebook at Work launches to help employee communications January 14, 2015
- WhatsApp hits 700m users and 50bn messages daily overtaking text messaging January 13, 2015
- In numbers: why brands need to start taking Snapchat seriously January 9, 2015
- LinkedIn expands long form blogging to most of its users January 8, 2015
- The Financial Times looks at how brands are riding the social influencer wave January 6, 2015
- “I am Elon Musk, CEO/CTO of a rocket company, AMA!” Why Elon Musk’s Reddit AMA is such great PR January 6, 2015
- Global Social Network and Messaging App user numbers: December 2014 December 19, 2014
- Battenhall’s 2014 in review December 18, 2014
- Just how super is SUPER? December 15, 2014
- Who are these 300m people on Insta? Instagram overtakes Twitter and launches verified accounts December 11, 2014
- January 2015 (11)
- December 2014 (6)
- November 2014 (10)
- October 2014 (4)
- September 2014 (10)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)