This week Vine released its biggest update for iOS to date, introducing various fresh services to the six-second looping video-sharing app in an attempt to fight back against Instagram’s introduction of video last month.
The update includes 15 new channels or ‘Vine genres’ ranging from music and comedy to cats where users can submit videos. Each of these channels has a its own theme and popular feed allowing for a number of different ways to be discovered on Vine, including a section called “On the Rise” highlighting Vine videos going viral on the service.
New capture tools include grid and ghost tools to spice up users’ videos, although unlike Instagram it still lacks editing and filtering features. Other technical updates include a redesigned camera with the function of setting focus and exposure, making it easier for users to frame shots.
Users can now “revine” Vine posts to followers similarly to retweeting a tweet on Twitter and taking a leaf out of Instagram’s book, Vine now allows the ability to create protected accounts only visible to specified users.
The update brings some much-requested features to the app by improving users’ ability to gain followers and get noticed within the app. With Instagram having 130 million users and Vine 13 million, it remains to be seen how this update will compete with Instagram, the battle is on…
You can download the Vine update now for iOS devices from the App Store.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Why Facebook’s new user numbers signal a turning point for the social media age January 29, 2015
- Battenhall shortlisted for Best Small Agency at the PR Moment Awards January 29, 2015
- Snapchat launches Discover January 27, 2015
- Launching the Battenhall WhatsApp January 22, 2015
- Speaking at #FjordKitchen London on digital disruption and the Real World Web January 21, 2015
- Facebook at Work launches to help employee communications January 14, 2015
- WhatsApp hits 700m users and 50bn messages daily overtaking text messaging January 13, 2015
- In numbers: why brands need to start taking Snapchat seriously January 9, 2015
- LinkedIn expands long form blogging to most of its users January 8, 2015
- The Financial Times looks at how brands are riding the social influencer wave January 6, 2015
- “I am Elon Musk, CEO/CTO of a rocket company, AMA!” Why Elon Musk’s Reddit AMA is such great PR January 6, 2015
- Global Social Network and Messaging App user numbers: December 2014 December 19, 2014
- Battenhall’s 2014 in review December 18, 2014
- Just how super is SUPER? December 15, 2014
- Who are these 300m people on Insta? Instagram overtakes Twitter and launches verified accounts December 11, 2014
- January 2015 (11)
- December 2014 (6)
- November 2014 (10)
- October 2014 (4)
- September 2014 (10)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)