This week Vine released its biggest update for iOS to date, introducing various fresh services to the six-second looping video-sharing app in an attempt to fight back against Instagram’s introduction of video last month.
The update includes 15 new channels or ‘Vine genres’ ranging from music and comedy to cats where users can submit videos. Each of these channels has a its own theme and popular feed allowing for a number of different ways to be discovered on Vine, including a section called “On the Rise” highlighting Vine videos going viral on the service.
New capture tools include grid and ghost tools to spice up users’ videos, although unlike Instagram it still lacks editing and filtering features. Other technical updates include a redesigned camera with the function of setting focus and exposure, making it easier for users to frame shots.
Users can now “revine” Vine posts to followers similarly to retweeting a tweet on Twitter and taking a leaf out of Instagram’s book, Vine now allows the ability to create protected accounts only visible to specified users.
The update brings some much-requested features to the app by improving users’ ability to gain followers and get noticed within the app. With Instagram having 130 million users and Vine 13 million, it remains to be seen how this update will compete with Instagram, the battle is on…
You can download the Vine update now for iOS devices from the App Store.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Battenhall named PRCA agency of the future September 26, 2014
- Internet goes wild for Ello launch September 26, 2014
- Some Battenhall news – awards and events and reports, oh my! September 23, 2014
- Battenhall launches 2014 FTSE 100 social media report September 22, 2014
- The UK YouTubers power list September 18, 2014
- New venue confirmed for Battenhall’s #SMW2014 trends briefing September 17, 2014
- Facebook’s latest experiment September 12, 2014
- How Apple’s social media strategy with fashion bloggers is taking aim not at the watch, but at the wrist September 10, 2014
- Battenhall’s Social Media Week London 2014 event open for registration September 4, 2014
- Reddit launches AMA app September 3, 2014
- 10 must-have IFTTT recipes for social media managers August 29, 2014
- Instagram launches new time lapse video app Hyperlapse August 26, 2014
- YouTube’s new Music Key service launches as direct competitor to Spotify August 22, 2014
- Instagram adds new marketing tools for account data insights and ads August 22, 2014
- A world beyond apps, from two different perspectives August 20, 2014
- September 2014 (10)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)