This week Vine released its biggest update for iOS to date, introducing various fresh services to the six-second looping video-sharing app in an attempt to fight back against Instagram’s introduction of video last month.
The update includes 15 new channels or ‘Vine genres’ ranging from music and comedy to cats where users can submit videos. Each of these channels has a its own theme and popular feed allowing for a number of different ways to be discovered on Vine, including a section called “On the Rise” highlighting Vine videos going viral on the service.
New capture tools include grid and ghost tools to spice up users’ videos, although unlike Instagram it still lacks editing and filtering features. Other technical updates include a redesigned camera with the function of setting focus and exposure, making it easier for users to frame shots.
Users can now “revine” Vine posts to followers similarly to retweeting a tweet on Twitter and taking a leaf out of Instagram’s book, Vine now allows the ability to create protected accounts only visible to specified users.
The update brings some much-requested features to the app by improving users’ ability to gain followers and get noticed within the app. With Instagram having 130 million users and Vine 13 million, it remains to be seen how this update will compete with Instagram, the battle is on…
You can download the Vine update now for iOS devices from the App Store.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Man Utd, NYE, Murray, England and Real Madrid rule Twitter 2013 December 12, 2013
- Twitter goes all Snapchat and launches private image sharing December 11, 2013
- Gary Vaynerchuck is coming to London December 10, 2013
- WhatsApp overtakes Facebook for mobile messaging December 4, 2013
- Battenhall working with The International HIV / AIDS Alliance to promote their World AIDS Day campaign December 1, 2013
- Snapchat usage now bigger than Facebook and Instagram combined November 22, 2013
- Tweets used live in the House of Commons for first time in Prime Minister’s Questions November 21, 2013
- How to get started with the new Twitter advertising system for reputation management and brand engagement November 14, 2013
- How Twitter’s new Custom Timelines can be used for brands November 13, 2013
- Battenhall appointed by Gob on Games to launch new iOS game Spit on a Banker November 13, 2013
- Flipboard moves into ecommerce with brand tie-ups November 12, 2013
- Some thoughts on our future with Twitter on IPO day November 7, 2013
- Facebook axes the ‘Like Thumb’ November 7, 2013
- World domination: Twitter’s focus on international growth November 6, 2013
- Now introducing…Biebernet? November 5, 2013