This week Vine released its biggest update for iOS to date, introducing various fresh services to the six-second looping video-sharing app in an attempt to fight back against Instagram’s introduction of video last month.
The update includes 15 new channels or ‘Vine genres’ ranging from music and comedy to cats where users can submit videos. Each of these channels has a its own theme and popular feed allowing for a number of different ways to be discovered on Vine, including a section called “On the Rise” highlighting Vine videos going viral on the service.
New capture tools include grid and ghost tools to spice up users’ videos, although unlike Instagram it still lacks editing and filtering features. Other technical updates include a redesigned camera with the function of setting focus and exposure, making it easier for users to frame shots.
Users can now “revine” Vine posts to followers similarly to retweeting a tweet on Twitter and taking a leaf out of Instagram’s book, Vine now allows the ability to create protected accounts only visible to specified users.
The update brings some much-requested features to the app by improving users’ ability to gain followers and get noticed within the app. With Instagram having 130 million users and Vine 13 million, it remains to be seen how this update will compete with Instagram, the battle is on…
You can download the Vine update now for iOS devices from the App Store.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Team Battenhall expands with two new senior hires March 10, 2014
- Battenhall turns one: the year in review March 8, 2014
- Yahoo signs Mourinho to be Tumblr-posting global football ambassador March 6, 2014
- Social media strategy for healthcare 101 March 5, 2014
- Social data predicts Wolf of Wall St will win at the Oscars March 1, 2014
- Reddit launches new and experimental news format, Liveupdate February 25, 2014
- Sina Weibo prepares for IPO February 25, 2014
- Calling all causes: Battenhall’s birthday present is back to you February 25, 2014
- Data from social media is the must-have brand asset February 25, 2014
- MWC2014: Ericsson and Facebook Innovation Lab February 24, 2014
- Top 5 things we learnt about BuzzFeed February 21, 2014
- LinkedIn unlocks long-form posting privileges February 20, 2014
- The $16bn address book: what Facebook’s acquisition of WhatsApp means for brands February 19, 2014
- Data is the new gold and data centres are the gold mines February 19, 2014
- Social media overtakes Google as top referrer to mainstream media February 18, 2014