This week Vine released its biggest update for iOS to date, introducing various fresh services to the six-second looping video-sharing app in an attempt to fight back against Instagram’s introduction of video last month.
The update includes 15 new channels or ‘Vine genres’ ranging from music and comedy to cats where users can submit videos. Each of these channels has a its own theme and popular feed allowing for a number of different ways to be discovered on Vine, including a section called “On the Rise” highlighting Vine videos going viral on the service.
New capture tools include grid and ghost tools to spice up users’ videos, although unlike Instagram it still lacks editing and filtering features. Other technical updates include a redesigned camera with the function of setting focus and exposure, making it easier for users to frame shots.
Users can now “revine” Vine posts to followers similarly to retweeting a tweet on Twitter and taking a leaf out of Instagram’s book, Vine now allows the ability to create protected accounts only visible to specified users.
The update brings some much-requested features to the app by improving users’ ability to gain followers and get noticed within the app. With Instagram having 130 million users and Vine 13 million, it remains to be seen how this update will compete with Instagram, the battle is on…
You can download the Vine update now for iOS devices from the App Store.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Ofcom considers deregulation to take growing power of internet into account April 17, 2015
- The arrival of the media grazing age April 13, 2015
- The rise of dark brand campaigns April 2, 2015
- Live streaming services Meerkat and Periscope woo influencers, brands and the media March 31, 2015
- What Facebook’s new Messenger for Businesses means for brands March 26, 2015
- 30 things to vlog about for #BattenVEDA March 16, 2015
- Facebook further develops audience engagement for brands with Topic Data March 11, 2015
- #BattenVEDA is back with a twist! March 9, 2015
- We’re hiring: calling superstar junior digital designers March 6, 2015
- Battenhall wins best social media agency in the UK March 5, 2015
- Is the platform-publisher model the future of digital media? March 3, 2015
- So long, Google+ March 2, 2015
- Social media for internal communications: notes from Battenhall’s IoIC talk February 28, 2015
- Catch Battenhall speaking at the Institute of Internal Comms conference this Friday February 23, 2015
- Google launches ‘KidsTube’ app February 20, 2015
- April 2015 (3)
- March 2015 (9)
- February 2015 (7)
- January 2015 (11)
- December 2014 (6)
- November 2014 (10)
- October 2014 (4)
- September 2014 (10)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)