Veteran users of Twitter will appreciate the newest update from the publicly-listed social networking company, which focuses in improving it’s DM or direct messaging function. Twitter’s DM service has been showing signs of being on its way out for a long time. DMs were one of Twitter’s original main functions, but have been relegated to second or third tier for a long time now, with little innovation or TLC from Twitter, it’s fair to say.
That has now changed, with Twitter last night launching a new app for iOS and Android which boasts photo-sharing in DMs, a move no doubt triggered by the surge in popularity of private photo-sharing apps such as Snapchat. Social messaging is the hot ticket right now, and Twitter’s userbase will surely appreciate this new lick of paint.
DMs are certainly a core service to the average user, but hugely popular also with high-profile accounts, such as brands and celebrities. The opportunity for brands to evolve how they use DMs in customer service I think is pretty huge, as photo sharing on a private exchange can only make communications faster and more meaningful, not to mention more creative.
One could then of course speculate over the possible future of the DM service on Twitter as a stand-alone app, similar to how Facebook offers its private messaging service to its users. I for one would welcome such a move.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Battenhall named PRCA agency of the future September 26, 2014
- Internet goes wild for Ello launch September 26, 2014
- Some Battenhall news – awards and events and reports, oh my! September 23, 2014
- Battenhall launches 2014 FTSE 100 social media report September 22, 2014
- The UK YouTubers power list September 18, 2014
- New venue confirmed for Battenhall’s #SMW2014 trends briefing September 17, 2014
- Facebook’s latest experiment September 12, 2014
- How Apple’s social media strategy with fashion bloggers is taking aim not at the watch, but at the wrist September 10, 2014
- Battenhall’s Social Media Week London 2014 event open for registration September 4, 2014
- Reddit launches AMA app September 3, 2014
- 10 must-have IFTTT recipes for social media managers August 29, 2014
- Instagram launches new time lapse video app Hyperlapse August 26, 2014
- YouTube’s new Music Key service launches as direct competitor to Spotify August 22, 2014
- Instagram adds new marketing tools for account data insights and ads August 22, 2014
- A world beyond apps, from two different perspectives August 20, 2014
- September 2014 (10)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)