Veteran users of Twitter will appreciate the newest update from the publicly-listed social networking company, which focuses in improving it’s DM or direct messaging function. Twitter’s DM service has been showing signs of being on its way out for a long time. DMs were one of Twitter’s original main functions, but have been relegated to second or third tier for a long time now, with little innovation or TLC from Twitter, it’s fair to say.
That has now changed, with Twitter last night launching a new app for iOS and Android which boasts photo-sharing in DMs, a move no doubt triggered by the surge in popularity of private photo-sharing apps such as Snapchat. Social messaging is the hot ticket right now, and Twitter’s userbase will surely appreciate this new lick of paint.
DMs are certainly a core service to the average user, but hugely popular also with high-profile accounts, such as brands and celebrities. The opportunity for brands to evolve how they use DMs in customer service I think is pretty huge, as photo sharing on a private exchange can only make communications faster and more meaningful, not to mention more creative.
One could then of course speculate over the possible future of the DM service on Twitter as a stand-alone app, similar to how Facebook offers its private messaging service to its users. I for one would welcome such a move.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Imoji App for iPhone turns your selfies into stickers July 24, 2014
- Facebook fights Twitter with Mentions and influencers July 24, 2014
- Tracking Transience: a project tracking ALL the things July 23, 2014
- Battenhall shortlisted for PR Week New Consultancy of the Year July 21, 2014
- One year in, how Battenhall’s focus on the 80/20 rule and innovation is working July 19, 2014
- Response to Facebook’s mood measuring experiment asks users to leave for 99 days July 16, 2014
- SnapChat experiments with collaborative timelines, again July 14, 2014
- Battenhallers out and about this week July 10, 2014
- Register for #BattenVEDA | Vlog Every Day in August July 8, 2014
- Why Facebook’s mood manipulation experiments are only the beginning July 4, 2014
- Twitter trials buy now button and acquires Tap Commerce for $100m July 1, 2014
- How Firechat is rolling out off the grid messaging across mobile platforms June 25, 2014
- How engaging teens on social media needs an understanding of the real reason Facebook is uncool June 17, 2014
- 10 trends shaping the future internet of things June 16, 2014
- Battenhall’s view of the future of PR – CIPR North conference keynote and slides June 12, 2014