Today we saw the launch of Jelly, a mobile app that’s a hybrid of a search engine and a Q&A service – founded by none other than Biz Stone, coincidentally one of Twitter’s co-founders.
Jelly allows mobile users to pose questions through the app and their question is shared with the users’ social networks. Other individuals from those networks will then provide answers to the question. Users can upload their own queries with a picture attached, and can also answer questions uploaded from others within their networks.
This ‘human search engine’ has an obvious appeal to mobile users, particularly in an age where consumers trust the opinions of friends and third parties rather than brands and businesses. More interestingly will be how brands decide to adopt the app and utilise it for their business. Might brands showcase a new product publicly on Jelly and ask its consumers what they think?
It’s too early to tell if Jelly will be an instant success with mobile users but, considering Biz Stone’s credentials and the app’s interesting USP, it may just be the new app to kickstart 2014.
We help build brand engagement, protect reputations and devise cutting edge campaigns that matter in our modern times. We eat, sleep and breathe innovation, and we are here to disrupt the old agency model.
From the blog
- Some Battenhall news – awards and events and reports, oh my! September 23, 2014
- Battenhall launches 2014 FTSE 100 social media report September 22, 2014
- The UK YouTubers power list September 18, 2014
- New venue confirmed for Battenhall’s #SMW2014 trends briefing September 17, 2014
- Facebook’s latest experiment September 12, 2014
- How Apple’s social media strategy with fashion bloggers is taking aim not at the watch, but at the wrist September 10, 2014
- Battenhall’s Social Media Week London 2014 event open for registration September 4, 2014
- Reddit launches AMA app September 3, 2014
- 10 must-have IFTTT recipes for social media managers August 29, 2014
- Instagram launches new time lapse video app Hyperlapse August 26, 2014
- YouTube’s new Music Key service launches as direct competitor to Spotify August 22, 2014
- Instagram adds new marketing tools for account data insights and ads August 22, 2014
- A world beyond apps, from two different perspectives August 20, 2014
- Twitter launches data visualisation tool #EverydayMoments August 15, 2014
- Facebook now tells us when ads lead to purchases August 14, 2014
- September 2014 (8)
- August 2014 (10)
- July 2014 (11)
- June 2014 (12)
- May 2014 (11)
- April 2014 (13)
- March 2014 (15)
- February 2014 (21)
- January 2014 (19)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (12)
- October 2013 (9)
- September 2013 (11)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (13)
- June 2013 (8)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (14)
- March 2013 (9)